An extensive collection of maritime documentation available
Researchers, maritime and heritage experts and authors or writers have access to the documentation centre. Any other individual wishing to consult the Museum’s book collection is also welcome to do so. The collection includes over 1500 books related to anything nautical, and some rare books.
When requesting information, you must send a written request specifying exactly what you are looking for and commit to covering any cost, where applicable. If you do your own research, you must make an appointment in advance. Please download the Demande de recherche (french only).
Once on the premises, you must:
- Sign the attendance record;
- Cover the cost of any photocopies at the rates indicated below;
- Be accompanied by a member of staff.
Documentation centre access fees
The first hour is free.
Additional hours are charged as follows:
- $35.00 an hour for people, museum institutions and non-profit organizations;
- $60.00 an hour for private businesses and for-profit organizations;
- These rates are subject to change at the beginning of each calendar year;
- Taxes are not included.
- $0.25 each 8.5″ X 11″ photocopy
- $0.30 each 8.5″ X 14″ photocopy
- $0.40 each 11″ X 17″ photocopy
To duplicate photographs, fees charged include the actual costs of duplication and shipping and a $5.00 handling fee.
Documentation shipping fees
Packaging, handling and mailing fees are applicable to any shipping. Fees are based on postal rates in effect.
For the United States and abroad, shipment rates will be based on Canada Post rates in effect for each shipment.
Access to the documentation centre
The documentation centre is accessible weekdays by appointment, during business hours, from 9 p.m. to 4 p.m. Individuals interested in consulting Museum books must contact us before coming to the Museum.